Sunday, July 5, 2015

Dining In: Pizza Dough for the Grill

Once you master the dough creation from this post (surprisingly easy!), you too can create your very own Margharita Pizza.



I've dreamed about putting teaching on the back burner so that I can open up a grilled pizza shop. The two things that hold me back every time I consider it are: #1: I am a teacher through and through, and #2: even though grilling pizza is one of my all time favorite things to do, it is exhausting manual labor. 

But, it's totally worth it. I promise! I've compiled a few favorite recipes with suggestions and adapted recipe ideas from an amazing and comprehensive cookbook called "Pizza on the Grill," by Bob Blumer and Elizabeth Karmel. 

The first time I grilled pizza, I was skeptical when I saw that my new book suggested that I put the gooey dough directly onto the grill. Wouldn't it seep in between the cracks and fall through?! That would be disastrous considering that I had literally kneaded the dough with my own two hands.

Magically, the dough crisps rapidly when you put it onto the grill, and it is hardens just in time before it is able to slip through the cracks. Have faith: it will work! 

Pizza Crust
Makes enough dough for two medium sized pizzas.

*TIP: One time I tried to be healthy and used whole wheat flour. Don't do it. It makes the crust dense and bread like, rather than airy and crisp.

Ingredients: 

1 packet of dry active yeast 
3 cups of flour
1 cup of warm water 
3/4 of a cup of olive oil
2 tsp of honey
1/4 tsp of kosher salt 


STEP 1: 

In a medium bowl, combine water, olive oil, and honey. Drop the yeast over the liquids, and wait for it to foam.

STEP  2: 

In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. 

STEP 3: 

Slowly add the liquid to the bowl of flour and salt, 1/2 of a cup at a time. Each time that you add 1/2 a cup of liquid, stir the mixture until the liquid is combined with the flour. Eventually you should have an elastic like ball of dough. 

*If it's too sticky, add more flour. If it's too powdery, add more water. 

STEP 4: 

Take the dough out of the bowl, and put it onto a flat surface that is covered in flour. Kneed the dough using the palms of your hands (really get in there!) for about 1-2 minutes. Don't go much over that, or it will get tough. 

STEP 5: 

Generously coat the inside of a medium bowl with olive oil. Drop the dough in and roll it around so that it's covered with oil. Pour extra oil over the ball of dough. 

STEP 6:(last step!)

Cover the dough with plastic wrap or tin foil, and set aside at room temperature for at least one hour. Let that guy rise! 

No comments:

Post a Comment